By David Crane
defrev (at) gmail (dot) com
All photo and video content contained in this article was shot by DefenseReview.com, and is copyrighted. DefenseReview.com owns the copyright on all photo and video content. All DR photos and videos were shot with a Sony Cyber-shot RX100 (DSC-RX100/B) Digital Camera with 20.2 MP (20.2-megapixel) still camera and 1080p HD video camera capability.
The following article is property of DefenseReview.com (DR) and is copyrighted material. If you are reading this article on another website other than DefenseReview.com, please email us the website address/URL (where the unauthorized DR article reprint is located) at defrev (at) gmail (dot) com. Thank you.
May 30, 2013
Clint Upchurch of the Colt 3-Gun Shooting Team was kind enough to take DefenseReview (DR) through the Colt Pro CRP-18 (called the "Colt CR Pro" in the embedded video, below) semi-auto-only, direct-gas-impingement (DGI) AR carbine at SHOT Show 2013. Since this 18-inch (18")-barreled rifle/carbine was specifically developed by Colt Competition Rifles for 3-Gun competitive shooting, it comes with all the bells and whistles, just like th Colt Pro CRP-16 with 16-inch (16") barrel. The barrels on both guns are fluted for weight reduction, by the way.
Both guns feature Colt's proprietary and very cool toolless adjustable gas block/gas system, and are relatively lightweight (competition) ARs thanks to the fluted barrels and lightweight modular rail systems. The muzzle brake/compensator also looked interesting. If you're looking for a 3-Gun AR, they're definitely worth taking a serious look at.
Editor's Note: One of the reasons we wanted to take a look at these guns at SHOT was because one of our contributors' expressed an interest in it's out-of-the-box viability for 3-Gun competition, as it looks like a well-thought-out package.
Defense Review likes the handling qualities of this gun, although we haven't run it at the range, yet. The Geissele Automatics SSA-E (Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced) two-stage match trigger is excellent, as are all Geissele triggers. Obviously, a great trigger is crucial on any competition gun, and DR is a big fan of Geissele's.
The following information on the Colt Pro CRP-18 competion AR comes directly from the Colt Competition website:
Caliber: .223 Remington
Operation: Gas-Operated, Original Direct-Impingement System
Magazine Capacity: 30 Round Magpul mag included. 10-rd aluminum mag for MA, NJ. Fixed 10-rd mag for CA.
Overall Length (Collapsed): 35.25" (89.54 cm)
Overall Length (Extended): 38.25" (97.15 cm)
Barrel Length: 18" Custom-Fluted Mid-Weight (45.72cm)
Barrel Muzzle Threads: 1/2" – 28 T.P.I
Approximate Weight w/o Magazine: 7.22 lbs. (3.28kg)
Barrel Rifling: 6-groove, Button Rifled, 1 Turn in 8", R.H. Twist
Mode of Fire Options: Safe / Fire
- 18-inch (18") Match-Grade, Air-Gaged, Polished 416 Stainless Steel custom barrel
– 6 groove Button-Rifling
– 1 in 8" R.H. twist Barrel Rifling optimized for 50 gr. to 77 gr. Bullets
– Chamber Accepts Factory-Loaded SAAMI Spec .223 Ammo & NATO-stamped 5.56x45mm Ammo
– Gas-Operated, Original Direct-Impingement System for Guaranteed Accuracy
– Colt Competition "Triple-Port" Muzzle Brake
– Magpul CTR 6-Position Adjustable Stock with Locking Adjustments
– Colt Competition 15" Vented Modular Float-Tube Handguard
– Full-length Integral Picatinny top Handguard Rail. 1 – 2" Accessory Rail.
– Magpul MOE Grip with Extended Backstrap, Magpul Enlarged Trigger Guard – Geissele Two-Stage Match Trigger (Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced) Model SSA-E. Breaks at ~3.5 lbs.
– Colt Competition "Patented" Low Profile Adjustable Gas Block – FINGER ADJUSTABLE without Tools
– Colt Competition Charging Handle with Extended Tactical Latch
– Matched Bolt & Bolt Carrier, with H-Buffer
– Forged & Precision-Fitted Upper & Lower Receivers with Forging Mark
– 13-Slot Picatinny Rail on Flat-Top Upper Receiver
- 1 Year Warranty.
– Each Colt Competition Rifle is test fired for accuracy.
– Accuracy Guarantee: 3-Shots in 1" or Less at 100 yds (with specified factory ammo).
– A signed, serial numbered and dated test target is included with each rifle.
– Shipped in a Custom Colt Competition Rifle-marked cardboard shipping box with Instruction manual.
– Also ships with a Safariland Cleaning Kit with a custom Colt Competition Rifle Cleaning Kit case.
– California, Massachusetts and New Jersey compliant models are available.
– Please contact Colt Competition at 1-855-308-2658 (COLT) for more information.
– Scope, scope mount and sights not included."
Company Contact Info:
Colt Competition Rifles/Colt Firearms
Phone: 855-308-2658 (855-308-COLT)
Email Contact Page: http://www.coltcompetitionrifle.com/ContactUs.aspx
Colt Firearms Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ColtFirearms
© Copyright 2013 DefenseReview.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without receiving permission and providing proper credit and appropriate links.
Plinker Tactical (PT) Dedicated .22 LR Tactical AR-15-Type Carbine, and 35-Round .22LR Polymer Magazine and Ambidextrous Charging Handle for Smith & Wesson (S&W) M&P15-22 Tactical Carbine/Rifle (Video!)
SIG Sauer MCX (Mission-Configurable Weapon System) Dual-Piston/Op-Rod 5.56x45mm NATO and 7.62x39mm Russian AR-15 Short Barreled Rifle (SBR)/PDW/Carbine with Integral Suppressor Introduced at NDIA SOFIC 2013! (Photos!)
Next Level Training (NLT) SIRT Training Pistol 110 Pro and SIRT-AR Laser Bolt (AR-15 BCG Retrofit) with Resetting Trigger and Laser Shot Indicator for the Most Effective Dry-Fire Training Possible! (Video!)
DR Exclusive First Look!: SCAR Who? Meet the Colt Modular Carbine (CMC) Model CM901 Multi-Caliber 7.62mm NATO Battle Rifle / 5.56mm NATO Assault Rifle for U.S. Military Special Operations Forces (SOF) and General Infantry Forces (GIF). DefenseReview (DR) Reports (Photos and Video!)