By David Crane
defrev (at) gmail (dot) com
All photos contained in this article were taken by DefenseReview.com, and are copyrighted. DefenseReview.com owns the copyright on these photos. The photos were shot with a Canon PowerShot S90 10-megapixel digital camera (still camera with video capability).
May 26, 2010
Updated on 6/02/10
Top tier competitive and tactical shooters will train with an electronic shot timer while performing shooting drills and training on shooting stages. If you want to improve as a shooter, it’s in your best interest to utilize an electronic shot timer. Shooting with a timer automatically puts you under some stress and allows you to effectively measure your improvement and progress as a shooter. Electronic shot timers are therefore of interest to DefenseReview.
While we were at SHOT Show 2010, we ran into Charles Hardy from Competitive Edge Dynamics, USA (CED), and he showed us a prototype CED7000 Pro electronic shot timer (pictured) that’s currently under development. The new timer will be even more feature-rich than the CED7000 Shot-Activated Timer (MSRP $119.95), which the company (CED) bills as “The Smallest, Most Advanced Shot Timer Ever!”. It will also out-feature the CED7000RF Shot-Activated Timer, which includes wireless remote capability.
DefenseReview will try to get a sample unit of the new CED7000 Pro for testing, as soon as we can. In the meantime, though, we wouldn’t mind running a CED 7000 at the range, since we’ve never used one.
The following is the CED company literature on the currently-offered CED7000 series electronic shot timers a.k.a. shot-activated timers:
“The CED7000 Shot-Activated Timer is truly a breakthrough in technology. No other timer to date offers the combination of advanced features, compact size and lightweight design. This is truly the “next generation” Shot Timer here today!
New features / functions include:
– Memory storage/recall for review of 10 strings and an unlimited number of shots
– Custom Par for single or multiple Par time settings, with variable delay intervals and the first ever hundredth of a second setting
– Dual forward and reverse Review function
– Fixed/Random/Instant of custom delay available
– Shot detection microphone featuring 8 preprogrammed digital sensitivity settings
– Illuminated fully functional LCD display, showing total time, splits, shot number, Par and first shot time.
– Date and time displays, including alarm clock feature
– New “Spy Mode” for monitoring other shooters and visual starts
– New “R.O. Mode” for selection when only basic features and functions are desired for use
– Optional 50 yard wireless RF capability for CED BigBoard or CED Time Keeper
– New “Stopwatch Mode” for use of the timer as a stopwatch to clock props and other shooters on the range
– Super loud Start beep over 110 db+(25kHz) – the loudest in the industry with adjustable volume control
– Rechargeable battery with low battery LCD indicator. Optional External Battery Pack
– 2 sets of Start/Review buttons. Choose which works best for you!
– RESET Function included
– A wide range of accessories, to ensure that you have what you need to make your new CED7000 the perfect timer for you
– Multiple carry devices and options (see below)
– Wrist and neck band lanyards included
– Universal Charger included
– Weight: 80 grams, 2.9 Oz.
– Dimensions: 100x47x17mm (3.94″x1.85″x0.7″)
– Power supply: Internal rechargeable Lithium battery. Will power the unit for close to 30 hours of normal use (25 hours of match use) before a charge is needed. 1.5 hour charging is sufficient.
– Beep volume and frequency: 110db+, 25,000Hz
– Clock precision displayed: 0.01Sec
– Connectors: 1 Auxiliary jack emits a 5-volt DC current in exact conjunction with the buzzer. 1 power supply plug, to be used with the optional external battery pack
The CED7000RF model includes wireless remote capability that allows the CED7000, CED7000T, or the CED7000A timers to be connected (wireless) to a CED BigBoard or CED Time Keeper for displaying results up to 50 yards away from the linked timer. The RF model is an optional upgrade that can be ordered at the original time of purchase or upgraded at a later date.
Any CED7000 timer can be upgraded at any time in the future. The upgrade will cost $29.95 plus Shipping & handling if performed at a later date.
CED7000A Airsoft Timer is now available. See details on this fantastic new “sound-activated” model designed for use with most Airsoft, Pellet Guns, and for dry fire practice on the market today under our AIRSOFT PRODUCTS Section.”
Company Contact Info:
Charles Hardy, Director
Competitive Edge Dynamics USA (CED)
2908 Betz Court
P.O. Box 486
Orefield, PA 18069–0486
888-628-3233 Toll Free
[email protected] Direct Email
[email protected] General Email