By David Crane
defrev (at) gmail (dot) com
August 6, 2009
Daniel Defense, Inc. (DD) out of Black Creek, Georgia (GA) is now making complete AR-15 tactical carbines. The first DD tactical AR carbine being introduced is the Daniel Defense M4 (DDM4) Carbine 5.56x45mm NATO (5.56mm NATO)/.223 Rem. AR-15 tactical carbine. DefenseReview got a chance to view and handle the DDM4 semi-auto-only tactical AR-15 carbine at SHOT Show 2009. From what we saw, the DDM4 looked like a well-thought-out weapons package, as well it should be since it’s our understanding that retired U.S. Army Special Forces (SF) operator, tactical instructor (tactical shooting instructor) and gunsmith/pistolsmith Larry Vickers spec’d the gun out. DD has manufactured high-quality Mil-Std-1913 “Picatinny” rail systems/forend rail tubes/handguards for years, but manufacturing complete weapons represents a very big step for the company. DD rails/handguards are very highly regarded by military and law enforcement (Mil/LE) tactical professionals and civilian tactical shooters, due to their excellent design and high quality.
- In-House-Manufactured 7075 T6 Aluminum Daniel Defense AR-15 Lower Receiver with enhanced beveled trigger guard and enhanced flared magazine well.
- In-House-Manufactured 7075 T6 Aluminum Daniel Defense Forged Aluminum AR-15 Upper Receiver with M4 Feed Ramp Cuts (Type III Hard Coat Anodized)
- Daniel Defense Omega-X 12.0 FSP (Front Sight Post) Extended Free-Float Rail System (6061 T6 Aluminum/forend rail tube/handguard (aluminum) with continuous top rail, proprietary barrel nut, ambidextrous quick-detach sling swivel attachment points and an extended rail surface in front of the fixed front sight tower.
- In-House Chrome-Lined Cold-Hammer-Forged 16-inch (16″) 4150 Ordnance-Grade Carbon Steel Barrel (as of July 1, 2009) with 1:7 Twist and birdcage flash hider/suppressor
- Mil-Spec MP-Tested Bolt (Shot-Peened)
- Properly-staked gas key/bolt carrier key
- Daniel Defense A1.5 Rear Sight/BUIS (Back-Up Iron Sight)
- Standard Fixed Front Sight Tower
- MagPul CTR Telescoping/Collapsible/Retractable Buttstock with mil-spec buffer tube
- Daniel Defense Vertical Foregrip
- (1) MagPul P-Mag 30-round box magazine
- 5.56x45mm NATO (5.56mm NATO)/.223 Rem. Caliber
Defense Review hasn’t gotten the chance to run the DDM4 tactical AR carbine at the range, yet.
Daniel Defense recently moved into a brand new manufacturing facility/plant where they manufacture and assemble complete AR-15 carbines/rifles and components like Mil-Std-1913 “Picatinny” rail systems/forend rail tubes/handguards.
Regarding that, WTOC 11 News in Savannah, Georgia (GA) is reporting that Daniel Defense recently had to streamline its business a little bit, which is understandable due to the combination of the the usual summer slow-down in the tactical firearms business, the leveling out of the Obama bump, and the downturn in the economy (economic slow-down). This confluence of events has created a difficult operating environment for a lot of firearms companies, lately, particularly those having recently gone through significant expansions, like Daniel Defense did.
On the bright side, Daniel Defense is currently pursuing new orders with the British Ministry of Defence (MOD) that we presume involve the rail system that Daniel Defense makes for the British army’s SA80A2/L85A2 bullpup assault rifle/carbine a.k.a. infantry rifle/carbine.
Company Contact Info:
Daniel Defense, Inc. (DD)
235 Oracal Parkway
Black Creek, GA 31308
CAGE Code 3E3E2
Daniel Defense M4 Carbine (The Firearm Blog)
Layoffs and furloughs at Daniel Defense (WTOC 11 News)