By David Crane
defrev (at) gmail (dot) com
All photos contained in this article were taken by David Crane of DefenseReview.com (DR), and are copyrighted. DefenseReview.com owns the copyright on these photos. The photos were shot with a Canon PowerShot S90 10-megapixel digital camera (still camera with video capability).
September 29, 2010
Our friend Eric Graves at Soldier Systems has been doing a little theorizing over there about the Colt CM901 Modular Battle Carbine/Rifle’s magazine. Well, Eric, as luck–or in this case, DefenseReview (DR)–would have it, you and your readers aren’t going to have to wait until AUSA 2010 to find out about the CM901’s magazine, ’cause here it is:
Editors’ Note: DefenseReview has sterilized the top two photos.
So, as it turns out, Mr. Graves theory was correct! Your money’s safe, Eric. That was some good theorizin’, buddy.
While DR was at Colt Defense a few weeks ago, we got the opportunity to run the CM901 in 7.62mm NATO (7.62x51mm NATO)/.308 Win. config at the range, and we took it!. The MagPul PMAG 20LR 7.62×51 Magazine was the only magazine we used. All the mags ran without a hitch. No malfunctions.
The MagPul PMAG 20LR 7.62mm NATO/.308 Win. SR25/M110 magazine is essentially a high-impact polymer SR25/M110 mag that holds 20-rounds of 7.62mm NATO/.308 Win. ammo. Here’s what MagPul Industries has to say about the PMAG 20 LR:
The 7.62×51 NATO (.308 Winchester) PMAG 20LR is a cost effective high reliability magazine for SR25/M110 pattern rifles featuring true 20-round capacity, constant-curve body, and snap on Impact/Dust Cover. Designed specifically for military-issue MK11/M110 rifles and mil-spec ammunition (including M118LR), the PMAG 20LR is less than half the weight of standard issue steel magazines and maintains a service life round count approximately equal to the rifle barrel itself.
MagPul PMAG 20LR 7.62×51 Magazine Features/Specs:
- Impact and crush resistant polymer construction
– Constant-curve internal geometry for smooth feeding
– Specially designed, self-lubricating follower for increased reliability
– Multi-use Impact/Dust Cover to protect feedlips from impact damage, keep dust and dirt out of the magazine during storage, and can be used as a tool for easy cartridge removal
– High-quality stainless steel spring for corrosion resistance
– Textured gripping surface and flared floorplate for positive magazine handling
– Robust floorplate for increased drop protection, easily removable for field maintenance and cleaning.
– Optimized for use with 7.62×51 NATO (.308 Winchester) ammunition with an overall cartridge length less than 2.820″, including M118LR.
– Additional commercial rifle compatibility includes the KAC SR25, DPMS LR308, LWRCI REPR, LMT 7.62 MRP, LaRue Tactical OBR, Bushmaster .308 ORC, Remington Model R-25, POF P-308, JP Enterprises LRP-07, and others
NOTE: NOT compatible with Armalite AR-10, Noveske N6, Rock River Arms LAR8, or any other rifles that utilize M14 type, FN FAL, or HK 91/G3 magazines
Stay tuned for more info on the Colt CM901…hehe.
Company Contact Info:
Magpul Industries Corp
400 Young Ct
Erie, CO 80516
877-462-4785 Toll Free General Inquiries
877-462-4785 (Option 4) Toll Free Technical Support
877-462-4785 ext. 119 Government/Military Sales
Colt Defense LLC
547 New Park Ave
West Hartford, CT, 06110
800-241-2485 Toll Free
© Copyright 2010 DefenseReview.com. All rights reserved. This content/material may not be republished, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without first receiving permission and providing proper credit and appropriate links.