By David Crane
defrev (at) gmail (dot) com
October 5, 2010
Marc Krebs of Krebs Custom has to be ALL over this one (i.e. we’re guessing they like it). Dublin AK Systems recently introduced their 2nd-Gen AK Ratchet Charging System (AK RCS) for Kalashnikov AKM, AK-47, and AK-74 series select-fire/full-auto assault rifles and semi-auto-only tactical rifles (7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm Russian) and Saiga semi-auto tactical shotguns. The AK RCS is a left-side-situated non-reciprocating charging handle that’s a much more ergonomic solution for the AK than the original/traditional right-mounted charging handle attached to the bolt carrier.
Assuming the AK Ratchet Charging System (2nd Generation) works as advertised and can handled hard use under adverse conditions and high round count, it’s definitely the way to go for any modernized tactical AK setup. No question about it.
I know if I were doing a lot of runnin’ and gunnin’ with an AK in a tactical rifle course, I’d want a Ratchet!
DefenseReview (DR) is curious as to whether an RCS can be developed for the CZ VZ.58 tactical rifle series. The VZ-58 is a more refined/elegant design than the Kalashnikov AKM.
AK RCS Advantages compared to original AK charging handle (from company’s website):
- Non-reciprocating handle
- Allows for faster reloading due to less hand manipulation
- Easier function for a right handed operator
- Quicker cooling
- Unproblematic reloading when firing from the prone position and or around barriers
- Unlike other left sided charging systems, with the Ratchet Charging system you can use your left side optics rail and it does not – open up your critical trigger components.
- The operator no longer loses sight picture or situational awareness while loading
- Easier to clear miss feed or jam
- Built to outlast the life of the firearm
- Built from the finest metals and long lasting black matte finish
- Self cleaning design allows dirt and debris to easily exit the gas tube.
If original charging handle is removed:
- Safety can be engaged when chambering a round
- Eliminates all exterior moving parts
Hat Tip: Eric Graves, Soldier Systems
Photo Credit: Dublin AK Systems
Company Contact Info: