By David Crane
defrev (at) gmail (dot) com
Photo(s) Credit: Revision Military
January 12, 2012
DefenseReview (DR) just received a press release on the Revision Military Sawfly Photochromic Eyewear System tactical eye pro, which looks pretty cool, and will be displayed at Booth 26011 at SHOT Show 2012. The photochromic (same thing as photochromatic) technology’s main claim to fame is that it obviates/eliminates the need to switch lenses when transitioning between indoor and outdoor/daytime and nighttime (i.e. light and dark) conditions/environments, since the lenses automatically darkens and lightens, depending on the lighting conditions.
“Revision’s photochromic lens technology not only eliminates the need to switch lenses when transitioning between the indoors and outside, but also automatically adjusts to compensate for varying outdoor light levels allowing the end user to focus on his mission, not his eyepro,” says Jonathan Blanshay, CEO of Revision. The lenses only take 60 second to go from their darkest state to their lightest state (which is almost clear), and only 20 seconds to go from the clear state to a light-grey lens capable of blocking sun glare. According to Revision Military, this is almost twice as fast as their competitors’ photochromic lenses.
The Revision Military Sawfly Photochromic Eyewear System tactical eyepro “exceeds ANSI Z87.1-2010 and U.S. military ballistic impact requirements for spectacles (MIL-PRF-31013 clause 184.108.40.206) while providing flawless optics and 100% UV protection” and retails for $149.99 USD. The system is also Rx-ready with Revisions optional Rx Carrier.
The following information was pulled directly off the Revision Military Sawfly Photochromic Eyewear data sheet (PDF format) (please excuse the formatting below):
“Revision Military Mission Critical Eyewear
- High-Impact Ballistic Lens
- Rapid Photochromic Technology (RPT)
- Flawless Optics
Sawfly Photochromic Eyewear
• ADVANCED Rapid photochromic lens features the fastest swing time
PHOTOCHROMICS available; transitions from light to dark in 20 seconds and from
dark to light in 60 seconds.
• SUPERIOR High-impact system exceeds industrial and military ballistic impact
BALLISTICS requirements, making this the only ballistic-rated photochromic
• FLAWLESS OPTICS Precision manufactured lenses ensure distortion-free vision and full side
impact protection; they also block 100% of UV-A-B-C rays
• TOUGH Scratch-resistant coating on both sides of lens; resists wide variety of
chemicals, including DEET
• INTERCHANGEABLE Interchangeable photochromic lenses can be used in your current Sawfly
eyewear frame; alternatively, specialty lenses can be purchased to
complement your photochromic system
• THREE SIZES Small, Regular and Large sizing options ensure fit, comfort and optical
• PRESCRIPTION READY Accommodates single vision prescriptions with optional Rx Carrier
SAWFLY EYEWEAR OFFERS EXTREME PROTECTION FOR EXTREME CONDITIONS
• CE certified in accordance with EN 166 when configured in the Max-Wrap configuration
• Certified to ANSI Z87.1 – 2010 standard
• High velocity impact performance of the Sawfly System is 3-times greater than required by
ANSI Z87.1-2010 and EN 166 Clause 7.2.2
• Meets U.S. military eyewear ballistic impact resistance requirements (MIL-PRF-31013, clause 220.127.116.11)
• CAGE Code: 30VZ5
The Revision Sawfly is proven to be the top performing impact eyewear system available.
Designed for fit, function and comfort, this unmatched level of protection is now available
with photochromic lens technology. The Sawfly Photochromic lens automatically darkens to
a sunglass tint when exposed to sunlight and returns to its clear state in the absence of UV
rays. With lenses that automatically adjust to light conditions – from bright sun to overcast
to indoors – the Sawfly quick-change Photochromic Spectacle provides the ideal tint when
it’s needed. So you can focus on your mission, not your eyepro.
LENSES ARE CLEAR WHEN INDOORS
OR AT NIGHT AND AUTOMATICALLY
DARKEN TO A SUNGLASS TINT WHEN
EXPOSED TO UV RAYS.© 2012 REVISION MILITARY INC., SAWFLY®, MISSION CRITICAL EYEWEAR®
, BE REVISION READY.®
ARE TRADEMARKS OF REVISION MILITARY.
REVISION MILITARY LTD., 7 CORPORATE DRIVE, ESSEX JUNCTION VT 05452 USA. revisionmilitary.com
PHOTOCHROMIC LENS FUNCTIONALITY
Revision’s photochromic lenses transition from 16% light transmittance at its darkest state to 66% clear in a minute. In 20 seconds it will change from its clearest state (77% light transmittance) to approximately half of its darkest state.*
Photochromic LT** values range from 16 – 77%; automatically adjusts to light conditions to provide a clear lens in low/overcast light and a solar tint in bright, sunlit conditions
* Testing conditions, room temperature 23 C, 90 seconds exposure in UV light
** LT (Luminous Transmittance) is the amount of light which is transmitted through the lens. All values are measured as per the MIL-PRF-31013 standard.
0 25 50 75 100 125 150
45 m/s (150 ft/s)
ANSI Z87. 1- 2010
* ¼” S T E E L B A L L . L A B T E S T I N G P E R F O R M E D I N R E V I S I O N ’ S B A L L I S T I C T E S T I N G C H A M B E R , A P R I L 2 0 0 9 . A L L T E S T S P E R F O R M E D O N S AW F LY S P E CTA C L E S Y S T E M .
45 m/s (150 ft/s)
E N 1 6 6
C L A U S E 7 . 2 . 2
155 m/s (507 ft/s)
S AW F LY
P R O T E C T I V E
E Y E W E A R *
3 x A N S I
V E L O C I T Y ( M E T R E S / S E C O N D )
0 100 200 250 300
M I L – P R F – 3 1 0 1 3 ,
C L A U S E 3 . 5 . 1 . 1
.15 CAL IBER, 5.8 GRAIN PROJECTIL E. L AB TESTING PERFORMED IN REVISION’S BAL L ISTIC TESTING CHAMBER, NOVEMBER 2010. AL L TESTS PERFORMED ON SAWFLY SPECTACL E SYSTEM.
S AW F LY
P H O T O C H R O M I C
E Y E W E A R†
V E L O C I T Y ( M E T R E S / S E C O N D )
201 m/s (660 ft/s)
251 m/s (825 ft/s)
Lt. A’s eyesight was saved by the Sawfly System
SAWFLY Photochromic Basic Optional Rx Carrier
TOUGH ENOUGH TO WITHSTAND A SHOTGUN bLAST FROM 5 METRES!
FIREARM Maverick Model 88, 26 inch barrel with improved cylinder choke
AMMUNITION Remington 12 gauge, 1 ounce #6 shot
VELOCITY 396 m/s ± 9 m/s (1300 fps ± 30 fps) at 5m (16ft)
RESULT 25 strikes, no penetrations
SAWFLY PHOTOCHROMIC BASIC KIT DELUXE KIT ‡ ESSENTIAL KIT BASIC KIT
BLACK SMALL • 4-0076-0730 4-0076-0720 •
BLACK REGULAR • 4-0076-0200 4-0076-0400 •
BLACK LARGE • 4-0076-0100 4-0076-0300 •
SMALL, REGULAR, LARGE
PRESCRIPTION (Rx) CARRIER Optional Optional Optional Optional
**See Price List for product numbers and descriptions.”
Company Contact Info:
Revision Military Ltd.
7 Corporate Drive
Essex Junction VT
Office Phone: 802.879.7002
Toll Free: 800.383.6049
General Info Email: email@example.com
Sales Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Revision Military Sawfly Photochromic Eyewear Systems Product Page: http://www.pitchengine.com/revision/revision-introduces-militarygrade-photochromic-eyewear-system–the-sawfly-photochromic
© Copyright 2012 DefenseReview.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without receiving permission and providing proper credit and appropriate links.
Revision BATLSKIN Modular Head Protection System (MHPS) Demo Video Released from AUSA 2011: Revision Military Batlskin (“Battle Skin”) Modular Ballistic Combat Helmet/Visor/Facial Armor System (Maxillofacial/Mandibular Armor) Update
Revision Military BATLSKIN (“Battle Skin”) Modular Head Protection System (MHPS) Lightweight Ballistic Combat Helmet, Visor and Mandibular Guard/Ballistic Face Shield: Complete Ballistic Maxillofacial Protection (Facial Armor) for the 21st Century Warfighter
Search terms for the article:
- MP 40 Shield Reviews, revision sawfly photochromic, BATLSKIN (Battle Skin) Modular Head Protection System (MHPS) Lightweight Ballistic Combat Helmet Visor and Mandibular Guard-Ballistic Face Shield, ak47 tactical vest, civilian armored vehicle, Revision Sawfly, photochromic, military eyewear, revision tactical sunglasses, photochromic tactical goggles, photocromatic adaptive system, photochromic grey lenses, revision military sawfly spectials reviews, revision en166 ft/s price, sawfly photochromatic battleskin